Friday, February 25, 2011

Garden Art


I have been at it again... Dumpster diving for treasures... in the form of plastic bottles, cups and aluminum cans.  I used to volunteer at the Depot's transfer station at the recycling center out in Benicia... I HATED to see the amount of plastic and aluminum that they trucked in every day...  I think plastic food containers should be outlawed...  everywhere.  But since it probably won't be, I am trying to think up more creative ways to use it to brighten up our lives, rather than cause more blight. 

I am also trying to create some art for my garden with no money...  OK, so I splurged on a few cans of spray paint... But a lot of it I got for free at the HazMat facility in Martinez on my last visit there.  You can use left over house paint, acrylic paint, glass paint, whatever you have laying around...  I like the way the spray paint looks.  But be sure to wear a mask if you will be spraying a lot...  It is hard on the lungs... 


I made these flowers by cutting the top of the can off like this
then I trimmed the rough edges off the cans and bottles like this

Using the pattern on the bottom of the plastic bottles, and by creating my own patterns, I cut strips down the side of the can, bent them out, and then cut petal shapes on the tips.



I layed them all out and spray painted them.  Once they were dry, I layered them on top of one another
punched a hole through the middle, ran some wire through and tied it on to a small piece of doweling.
They make a really bright addition to my garden.  I can't stop making them, it's addictive!


19 comments:

christygrant said...

Karan, these are like, WOW! Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

Vicki said...

I LOVE YOUR FLOWERS KARAN!!

Kathy McElroy said...

These are so great. I just love them.

Joanne Huffman said...

Terrific garden project - one that my "black thumb" couldn't destroy.

Melanie E said...

Beautiful flowers! You have such amazing ideas!

Anonymous said...

What a great trash to treasure idea!!

Janine said...

A wonderful and creative idea.
I love recycling art

Cheryl said...

karan,
These are so cute!!

Shelley E said...

love those!

Electra said...

These are so pretty!

Maria said...

Love this idea! Thanks! I've been saving cans for a week and hoping to start soon!

Cinnamonbite said...

That is so cool! I've been doing this, sorta, with plastic bottles: http://cinnamonbite.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-recycle-entire-plastic-bottle.html
but I really like your aluminum cans too! Do they spin at all? Like pinwheels?
And since you did this a few years ago, how's your paint holding up? Mine are all in the shade so I'm still ok, but yours are out in the sun. Can you recommend a good paint brand?

Anonymous said...

I put just about everything in my flower beds. kids dinasaurs make a small Jeraseck Park area. Another one has Knomes with Barbie size chairs ,tablea and u get the idea! Another with fairies...A frog area with different kinds of them...all kinds of solar stuff lite their way amoung them..my hand made wind chimes sing through them. AND I SPRAY EVERYTHING with exterior clear sealer..top,sides..in it and up it...just for security..My little garden familt ain't going no where for as long as I can help it 111

Brain Leaks said...

wow fabulous! I would love to make these they look beautiful x

Unknown said...

How do you mount them and to what do you mount them on?

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I may even try this one. What a great idea.
Liking your blog
Janice

Anonymous said...

Love these. Hope I take time to make some. Thanks so much.

SDMomma said...

How did you make these cute flowers without cutting your hands all up! I'm afraid I'd be covered with Band-Aids afterwards :-)

MichaelPalmeri said...

I just made 2 flowers! Love this idea! Surprisingly enough was not extremely sharp... I was overly careful though! Thanks for the inspiration!